View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 09:58am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by caref
In California we use the 6 foot coaching box. I am just curious as to how other areas who use this enforce it. My association seems tp go with the attitude, "if the coaches are not bothering me I don't care." I don't feel confortable with that since some coaches can get away with wandering all over the place while the majority honor the requirments. Seems to make for a double standard.

How do do other areas of the country and other parts of California handle this?

My first year as a basketball official was the 1971-72 season, but the first year of the coaching box rule was the 1970-71 season and it was in effect at both the boys'/girls' H.S. and men's college level. Without going into detail, the rule was very simple, except under very few situations, the head coach kept his tuckus glued to the bench. I lived in Glendale, CA, from 1982 to 1984, and the rule as it was written in 1970 was still in effect. My very first game in Los Angeles was a girls' H.S. varsity. About half way through the first quarter I was lead when Team B scored and Team A was trying to inbound the ball against Team B's press. The next thing I know, Team A's coach was standing beside me on the endline coaching his team. Of course I whacked him, but he could not understand why he could not be where he was. He was not too happy but he stayed on the bench after that.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio