Thread: Can't yell Foul
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 01:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
No, I'm not turning into an archivist, a la MTD, but I do happen to have the 2000-2001 rulebook, and intentional fouls are in the POEs. I won't type out the whole thing, but part of the paragraph states the following.
Quote:
Acts that must be deemed intentional include:
. . .when coach/player says "watch, we're giong to foul"
So notice that this doesn't necessarily include a coach telling his player to foul. It specifically addresses the situation where the coach tells the official that they're going to foul to stop the clock.

I don't know if that makes a difference to the current discussion, but it's kind of interesting.

Thanks for doing my research for me Chuck, but I believe that if the Coach B yells to his players for them to foul and B1 immediately fouls A1, that foul is intentional.

True story: Two years ago, Team B is down by four points with less that a minute to play. Team B is pressing and I am Trail table side. Coach yells to B1 (who is guarding A1, who is dribbling the ball) to foul A1. B1 immediately hacks A1 across the arm. Intentional personal foul on B1. Almost had a technical on Coach B after that, but the foul fit the definition of an intentional foul.
Why is it intentional? It would seem to me that a hack across the arm was a play on the basketball and, failing that, a common foul. If this is an intentional foul earlier in the game without the coach yelling at the player, fine, but the only thing I hear from the coach is when he's asking for a time out. I take all contact at face value.

Rich