View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 07:37am
Huck Finn

I have a story about an assistant coach and head coach some time ago. I will make it as short as possible.
Summer tournament game. Near empty gym. Guy on baseline with camera making comments like "that ball was out", "he got fouled" and so forth. My partner and I hear enough and we tell him he can't stand on the baseline anymore. Oh, only about 5-6 feet to wall so he is right in our ear. So, he goes to the bench on the far end of the court. During a dead ball I go to the "head coach" and the conversation goes like this:
me - coach you can't have a fan on your bench
coach - he isn't a fan he is a coach
me - coach you can't have a fan on your banch
camera man - why are you even talking to him, I'm the head coach
me - your the head coach?
camera man - yeah, I'm the head coach!
me - are you sure you're the head coach?
camera man - yes, I'M THE HEAD COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I back away a few steps, "tweet, technical foul on white coach."

I tried to talk to who I thought was the head coach and I tried to talk the head coach out of telling me he was the head coach. I don't think any state allows the head coach to be on the far end line from his bench with a camera during play. After the T he asked me in a quiet, normal tone "what did I do to get the T?" I told him he couldn't be a coach and be all the way on the baseline. I didn't hear a peep from him the rest of the game. I don't even remember if his team won or lost. I didn't care about the outcome I just knew I had to handle this situation.

In a situation with an assistant just tell the coach "coach, your assistant is going to hurt you."