Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
What? Our interpreter said that the minute he sets his foot oob, he has lost his legal gurading position and must come back onto the floor and reestablish it. If he is OOB it is a block.
Exactly. Our state commissioner (who is also on the National committee) says that if a foot is OOB, it is a block every time. It doesn't matter if the kid has been standing there all night. Based on the new rule, it will always be a block unless he/she has both feet inbounds.
Both of your interpreters' are telling you the right way to call this play, by rule. Stew's interpreter in Virginia knows exactly how the new rule works, but is basically telling all his officials that he wants them to ignore the new rule and make the WRONG call.Personally, I don't know how they're gonna justify that to a coach that may happen to know how the new rule is supposed to be called- unless they lie and say something like "Oh no, Coach, the defender's foot wasn't on the line. You're seeing things". Also personally, I don't think that any interpreter should ever tell their guys to deliberately call something against the rules, just because they don't happen to like or agree with that particular rule. I don't know how Va works, but the interesting part might happen when state play-offs come, and guys from Stew's association may have to leave their area to work with officials from another association,or may have to work under a new interpreter for a regional or state tournament. How are you gonna call it then?
What I plan to do is to discuss this situation at every pre-game and go with the crew.

Stew in VA
CVBOA
Stew, this simply isn't required. The rule states that if the defender is OOB, it's a block. No need for a discussion.