View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 06, 2003, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Iowa

Well as with most states it seems to always be a big secret for the formula but here is what my experience has taught me.

1. All officials are elgible to work a playoff as long as they attend a rules meeting yearly and return a sportsmanship form at the end of the season. As officials we rate each teams players, coaches and fans each week at the varsity level only.

These above mentioned items are required by the assoc.

2. Now the coaches then give an end of the year recommendation card back to the assoc. They are asked to rate 2 crews who they would reccommend for playoffs. (These may be crews they have had that year or crews they know that are deserving) The political part!?!?

3. So according to the assoc. the crews with the top votes/recs will then work the playoffs.

4. For the number of games (16 teams qualify per class with 5 classes) that part still puzzles me.

5. Some crews may work 1, 2, 3 or 4 just varies I guess.

6. But basically whatever crew you work with throughout the year they will keep you together.

I know there is not really a rotation system set in place so you may work Championship games year in and year out.

These are my educated guesses, I hope they enlighten you how we do it in Iowa.