View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Every case is different. I have no problem with what BT did - he had no idea he would be asked to ref, the opposing coach knew of the potential conflict and preferred two rrefs who could run the floor and concentrate on the game to either only one ref or one weka ref and one solid ref.

Same with Richard, since they let the opposing varsity coach ref, its obvious they just wanted to play the game with some basketball knowledge on the floor keeping things under control. This is JV, and these guys just need to get on the court and play. Also, a varsity game is almost always made up under these circumstances, while the JV may just miss out. Let em play, ref the game.

Hoops, your post shows exactly why you shouldn't go out of your way to avoid these situations. You know that you have had weaker partners. What if that weaker partner who does a poor job in tandem is forced to do the game alone? It would be best if you are on the floor (with the other coach aware that there may be a conflict). If you do a fair job, you know it is better for the kids on the court (and that is what this is about).

My experience has been that refs are refs first. In 99% of the cases, they will do the game in as unbiased a manner as possible. I think the coach who has the connection to the ref actually has as much or more to concerned about, in that many refs will overcompensate to ensure that they do not favor their own squad.