View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

ok here's my point of view

I have coached basketball for about 5-6 season and officiated for 11, so for the beginning few years i did both.

I personally removed myself from any game that there could be an appearance of a conflict. This is not saying i can't do the game this is saying i won't do the game.
Now every rule is made to be broken so this is when i broke my own rule; when the game was exibition, or when the game result couldn't effect any teams in league i was coaching in.

I would never under any circumstance officiate a game involving the school i coached at. If i was in the stands watching the game and noticed only one official i would very quickly done to the corner store getting a coffee.

As an official i have worked a few games by my self. Including a JV game earlier this year. After a heavy snow fall delayed my partners arrival i was asked to start the game by my self, after receiving the ok from everyone i started. The game involved 2 skilled teams and i thought i had the game under control, when my partner finally did show up, he immediately had 3 quick fouls. That not only change the game but brought the coaches involvment in the game to another level. Just what i didn't need at the JV level.

After the game BOTH coaches came up to me seperatly and asked why i had let my partner join the game. They indicated that i had done a better job by my-self. I smiled thanked them and suggested that they wish for more snow in the future.

keep smiling

SH

[Edited by hoopsrefBC on Jan 14th, 2001 at 02:34 AM]