View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 14, 2001, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Cool Been there and Oh My!!

In my first year I received a phone call at work one day from my school. It turns out that both schools showed the games as "away" so no officials had been scheduled. The two schools discovered the problem when the JV girls showed up at each others place. (These are small schools with no Frosh teams. Game days are GJV-BJV-GV-BV nights.) The two ADs spoke by phone and did not want to cancel the BJV game. (The association was scrambling to provide refs for the 2 varsity games 2 hours later.) They agreed to each "supply" someone to ref and then play the BJV game. The games will be at their site.

So my school asked me to be the "supplied" ref. I phoned my assigner and was approved to take the game (and be paid.) The varsity coach will be the other ref until the refs for the varsity game arrive. So may partner for the first half was the coach; the second half was much smoother with someone who knew where to be, etc.

My son played on the JV team!

I treated the game as any other - just two colors on the court. I was treated fairly by all throughout. However, the score was tied after the first quarter, tied at half, tied after the third quarter, and tied late in the 4th. (Why oh why wasn't it easy! At least my son played very little, but I missed most of whatever he did.)

With about 2 minute to go in the game, our team up by 1 or 2, I am the lead, and our guard drives the lane. Just as he starts his shooting motion ("continuous motion") he is clotheslined. He gets the shot off and the basket goes. I count it and call the foul. The guilty player desperatly wanted it "on the floor" as you might guess. The free throw was made, and that created enough lead that the home team could not recover -- we won -- I don't do our HS!

(I am doing our 8th grade on Monday....)

BTW, my wife taped the game and we looked at that play over a dozen times that night at home. I'm convinced I made the right call.