Thread: NFHSQuestions
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 03, 2003, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by foxwhistler
I had some pretty interesting calls in some games yesterday. I'm not sure I made all the right ones though. Maybe someone could help.

There's a loose ball in my area. A kid is on his knees, gains possession. He dribbles to stand up. It seemed fine to me. My partner called a travel. Who was right?
You were correct...can't travel during a dribble...rules fundamentals...page 1 (or so)
Quote:

We had an intentional foul on a throw in (B2 holding A2, after a made field goal by B). Following the free throws, I administered the ball on the same baseline that the foul occurred at. A's thrower asks if he can still run the baseline. I told him he could, though I wasn't sure. Was I correct?
Yes...assuming the closest spot OOB to the foul was on the endline.

However, why is it an intentional foul? In spite of what some believe, it is not necessarily an intentional foul when there is a foul during the throw in (at least in NFHS). Most times this will be a common foul.
Quote:

Incidently, as the whistle blew, A1 attempted to inbound with a bounce pass which B1 kicked. If we hadn't called an intentional foul, we would have had a kicked ball. Would the inbounder be allowed to run in that case?
Yes...assming the kick were closer to the endline than the sideline.
Quote:

Just prior to the toss, A's jumper pushes B's jumper. We award two free throws to B's jumper and the ball at the dividing line. Should the arrow be set to A's direction when the ball is made available to the inbound thrower?
Why two FTs? It the first foul of the game, the ball was live (just prior to the toss). It's not that much different than a shove on a rebound. If this were an OT toss, there may be some history that would warrant a stiffer call.

That said, if it was hard enough to be considered intentional. The arrow is set as you say since you called an intentional foul (which is not a common foul).
Quote:

Right after a made basket and prior to B possessing the ball to throw it in, A5 and B5 get locked up and give each other a pretty good shove. I called a double foul--should it actually be a double technical foul since both fouls occurred during a dead ball?
Yes...if it was clearly after the ball was through the basket. If it were close, your choice depending on the game.
Quote:

I was telling A4 to get out of the lane when my whistle blew inadvertently. Just as my whistle blew, A2 shoots. I disallowed the basket. The only thing I could find in the case book was 7-5-4, but it doesn't indicate whether the bucket counts. Any ideas?
If you're telling him to get out, he's probably been there for 3+. Just go ahead with the 3 second call and move on. Otherwise, you'll have a bigger mess.

However, if you do go with the inadvertant whistle, the try would could if and only if the ball has airborne at the time of the whistle. Continuous motion does not apply to inadvertant whistles, only fouls.
Quote:

Thanks in advance to anyone who has input. If you have specific rule #'s that's great too!

Tom

[Edited by Camron Rust on Nov 3rd, 2003 at 05:26 PM]