View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 02, 2003, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

I am going to talk NF rule book here:

2-29-4 "A forward pass ends when it is caught, touches the ground, or is out of bounds."

2-30-11 "A passer is a player who throws a forward pass. He continues to be a passer until the pass ends or until he moves to participate in the play."

9-4-3 "Roughing the passer. Defensive players must make a definite effort to avoid charging into a passer who has thrown the ball in or behind the neutral zone, after it is clear the ball has been thrown. No defensive player shall charge into the passer who is standing still or fading back, because he is considered out of the play after the pass."

The passer was no longer a passer once the ball was caught. I'd call a PF on B55. I don't think you can take the interception away from B's team because there was a foul on B after the interception. I think the rule reference in 9-4-3 doesn't apply since the ball was intercepted. PF would apply here, not roughing the passer. Sounds like R needs some help from others in his crew to determine WHEN the foul occurred, either before or after the ball was caught.