Thread: Umpire Protocol
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbcrowder
I couldn't disagree more. If an umpire (experienced or not) has a rule wrong, you have a responsibility to fix it. Hurt feelings and ruffled feathers may be the side effect, but above all our charge is to enforce the rules correctly.

PS - in the situation described, I did not approach her saying "No, she gets first, the ball hit the ground." I approached her (before the uproar had a chance to get uproarious, and out of the earshot of anyone else) to ask her if she ruled her out because in her judgement the ball did NOT hit the ground.
And you think there is a difference in the player's and coach's eyes? If you intervene without being requested, you just as well scream it. If such an intervention results in a change of the call, even if it is correct, there will be more of an uproar than that experienced from the original bad call.

Quote:
If she'd said that, then I'm going back to my position, and if asked by a coach, I'm saying partner did not rule that the ball hit the ground, and had a better position than either myself or the coach - and reminding them about arguing judgement calls. However, she did NOT have that. She had the right judgement, but the wrong rule interpretation.
You shouldn't be saying anything concerning the call to a coach. If the coach requires an explanation, the umpire who makes the call is the only person doing the talking.

Quote:
To me, the scariest part is that she runs a clinic, and SPECIFICALLY discusses this situation, advising to rule the batter out. I assume there's a whole host of new or young officials in Denton Texas screwing this up on a daily basis.
That is scary, and it should be brought to the attention of the UIC in that area.

You may disagree with my method, but I can guarantee you one thing. If we are ever working together and you kick a ruling, we will talk and it will appear to be your idea whether it is or not. Whether you accept my input or not, any change or discussion is going to be your responsibility. If it is necessary to call the UIC to the field, I will tell him/her exactly what I tell you.

I will not return to my position, but will be standing next to you until all discussion is over and we are ready to play ball. You are my partner, at least for that game, and I will stand by you, right, wrong or indifferent. That doesn't mean I'm not going to do everything I can to convince you something is wrong, but I'm also going to do everything to keep your integrity intact. You can be the biggest screw-up or the best umpire in the world, but for that game we are partners and our first responsibility is to each other. It took a while, but I have learned there are many ways to take charge of a situation without placing your partner's abilities in question or screwing up a game.

Any other discussion concerning the play and the ruling can take place after the game is finished and you, me and Bud can have a nice conversation.