Thread: Umpire Protocol
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbcrowder
So you think I should have just sat there and let her screw it up?
As opposed to walking toward her and without solicitation saying, "No, she get's first, the ball hit the ground", yes.

Quote:
Or waited for a coach to approach? If someone has a rule wrong, you have a responsibility to see it fixed. I did not expect her to have a complete lack of knowledge of the rule - she's been doing this a while. I expected her to realize her error as soon as I mentioned it. I was rather surprised to find otherwise.
I've seen umpires interject a (correct) ruling into another umpires call and it doesn't work well. It often creates a divide between the crew and certainly places both umpire's integrity in question.

If your partner doesn't want any help, that is her call. I'm not saying it is the right thing for her to do, but it is her option. Let the coach protest the game. If she still doesn't budge off the call, call the UIC if one is available or sign the scorebooks and move on.