View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I understand the basic premise of the crash=whistle argument, but how does that mesh with the incidental contact provisions, specifically:

4-27 Incidental Contact:
ART. 2 . . . Contact which occurs unintentionally in an effort by an opponent to reach a loose ball, or contact which may result when opponents are in equally favorable positions to perform normal defensive or offensive movements, should not be considered illegal, even though the contact may be severe.

ART. 4 . . . A player who is screened within his/her visual field is expected to avoid contact with the screener by stopping or going around the screener. In cases of screens outside the visual field, the opponent may make inadvertent contact with the screener, and such contact is to be ruled incidental contact, provided the screener is not displaced if he/she has the ball.

10-6-3d
A player who is screened within his/her visual field is expected to avoid contact by going around the screener. In cases of screens outside the visual field, the opponent may make inadvertent contact with the screener and if the opponent is running rapidly, the contact may be severe. Such a case is to be ruled as incidental contact provided the opponent stops or attempts to stop on contact and moves around the screen, and provided the screener is not displaced if he/she has the ball.

These provisions let you know that you can have strong crashing contact and not call a foul.
I tend to agree with you, Hawks' Coach, but as someone explained to me this summer, these rules all apply pretty minutely when the ball isn't involved. If it's a train wreck and one of the "casualties" had the ball, there's GOT to be a whistle. Somebody fouled, period.
I'll add if you do pass on a crash on one end then you should be passing on a crash on the other end as well. And whatever you do DON'T have a whistle for something ticky-tack. Once things have "evened out" then you can regain control (can't wait to see if I get a reaction to that one ).

Lots of very good posts in this thread.