View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 12, 2001, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

I had a different situation last night that I hope never comes up again. I had an off night so I went to watch the varsity girls game at the school that I teach and coach at. One of the officials is one of my best friends and the other one I know through our local association. I went to speak to them at halftime of the JV game and found that the other official (not my friend) was sick with the flu. The sick official started the varsity game by wearing his black officials coat since he was cold. With about 4 minutes left in the first half he says he can't go anymore and that he needs me to take over. I am in sweats and glasses. Luckily another teacher was there who had worked a JH game and had his shirt and whistles in his truck. So I got to work the rest of the game.
During this short game that I worked I found myself to be very uncomfortable since I have had many of the girls in my classes and am very good friends with our girls coach. The only fun part was I got to listen to our student fans kid me a little bit about being out on the floor.
I found one thing to be qutite interesting in that it didn't take long for some of the home team to start yelling at me. I coach boys sports so they may not have known who I was.
Has anybody ever had a similar experience in stepping in as a replacement like this or had to work a game in an emergency where there was a potenial conflict?