View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 05:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: It really isn't that hard

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Not everybody has to read this clarification on-line. Local leadership (rules interpreters, local boards, etc.) should be able to look it up and get this essential information to their refs.
That might work in your state, but that does not necessarily work in ours. Once the rules meeting are over, there is no "statewide" updates. At least one that the coaches ever see. We cannot get the coaches to read a simple rulebook, how are we going to get them to understand the many interpretations on the NF website? Coaches here spend more time learning what the rules are by what the officials did the night before. And I have come to the conclusion that they are lying half the time anyway.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

We are about to start a new season. A new rule is going into effect, people got a bit confused, NF clarified their intent. The rule is now so incredibly straightforward it isn't hard to tell folks what it means. It doesn't require a laptop or an internet connection - just remember that defenders have to stay on the court. How hard is it to get that message out to refs?
The officials are the last of my concern. The coaches are the ones that are going to "pitch a b!t@h" we used to say. At least all officials are required by the IHSA By-laws have to attend a meeting, every year no matter what. Coaches on the other hand, only have to have a representative to a IHSA Rules Meeting. So many times the Head Varsity coach will not attend the meetings at all and they are the ones that run the program. They will send a Freshman Assistant Coach (who does not know there is a rulebook to begin with) try to report back the fine details of the new rule. I am sure something will get lost in the translation. Just like it did when a coach went ballistic on my about what his player could do after a made basket. That coach was clueless then, I am sure he and others will be clueless about this new rule as well.

Peace