View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Here is the problem once again.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
They are going have this clarification that no one will read, no one will understand and that the rulebook will not support. And when a tough play comes up, no one but the NF and a couple of officials will even be aware that there is this clarification. I can see a coach reading this years rulebook to argue or make an issue with and official over this ruling, without ever reading the website.
In actuality, how often does this sitch come up? I mean how many of you out there in dot-com land have had to use this, or expect to in the next season? I'm not saying it should be ignored, I'm just not sure it's such a huge deal as we are making it out to be.

In my experience, if a coach questions a call and I say, "Yes, coach, I'm sure -- the NFHS put up an official interp in their rulings for the new season" they know they dont have a clue and they drop it. The good ones ask for details so they can improve their coaching. In these cases, Jeff, you are absolutely right about how important it is to have both rules knowledge AND presence. The rules knowledge gets the call correct, and the presence sells it.

But really, how many times is it going to be an issue?