View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Tardy

I know I'm entering this conversation prettylate in the show but...

Initially, when I read the scenario I had this vision of the BAD COP waiting by my car... You know... If I could make it through the crowd then the policeman would reluctantly do his duty to protect me.

For the life of me I'm still wondering where the game administration was? And why wasn't the police dispersing the crowd before the officials entered the fray? Perhaps there were some real issues (albeit inexcusable crowd response) that rose during the game and the adminstrator and the police felt justified in allowing the crowd to have their way.

I've been in the situation of these officials where I thought if I slowed down at all, the crowd would beat the holy crap out of me. And I was working the game with my wife so that tripled my concerns. We weren't touched and we ignored alot of comments, but game mangement was there and ushered us into a safe haven (and it was the home team that lost). Home Team Game Management saved our bacon.

There is something that has changed in my character and the way I handle myself since that game and today. I'm not sure how describable it is. I will try.

I have decided that it is my attitude that determines the attitude of the players, of the coaches, and of the crowd. Me; I determine the situation that I am in. The differences in how I act are subtle, small little things. I can show my disdain for having to make a call. The call was needed. But by displaying the nuances of "wish I didn't have to make that call" I remove the burden of guilt from myself and righfully place it on the players that committed the act. Watching a hot-head a little closer than every other player is an opposite tactic. And any call made on this player must be made with absolute indifference - there can be absolutely be no flavor of "gotcha." An official must display enjoyment at some points of the game, 100% professionalism at others, and a realm of empathy and dissatisfaction upon the need to make particular calls at other times. The tone of the game is not completely in the hands of the officials. There is sure to occasionally be anomalous behaviour from players, coaches, and crowd. It is the officials confidence and ability to address, as needed (and it isn't always needed), and then to subsequently deal with these anomalies that will determine the smoothness of game flow and acceptance of your judgements by the participants.

Again, I wonder what prompted this response from the crowd, and game management, and the police. I strongly feel that somehow this crowd of parents needs to be reprimanded. And that the officials may need to take a strong look at what their own causal factors may have been. JMHO

I feel the official's association needs to take a strong position to defend their officials and not validate these actions by saying nothing. The association should be in game management's (and the coach's) ear saying, "Intentional or not, you screwed up. You should have protected the officials. You should have ensured the parents were gone. You should have ensured the police were in the middle next to the officials and not waiting for them at the end of the gaunlet. You will make some efforts and some public reprimands and these efforts will meet the association leadership's approval or perhaps you can get some of those parents to officiate your games."

Maybe Lawref will work your games unless he is too busy disparaging and condescending the public. smilie included.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Oct 27th, 2003 at 04:05 PM]