View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 27, 2003, 05:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

This is how it worked in effect for 2003: for the purposes of a team foul A had control when the ball was put at the disposal of an A player and this special status applied until the throw in ended. In your play the throw in ends when A2 touches the ball, and per 2003 rules so did team control for purposes of a team foul or the backcourt rule. I haven't had my ncaa meeting yet so I'm somewhat behind but I understand the book has been rewritten to make all this more consistent but the ruling remains the same - ie team control ends when A2 taps the ball. If this is not the case then we would not shoot 1&1 if A is fouled between the time A2 touches the ball to end the throw in & A3 catches the ball to gain team control. Last year we would shoot 1&1 if A was fouled in that time period. And of course the ruling on your play had been & remains NOT a bc violation because there's no team control when A3 touches the ball in the bc.

Make sense? Editorial rewrite with no change in ruling.
You're right about the team-control foul---the new rules eliminate the silly 1&1 scenario that we had last year.

However, the 2004 rules seem to indicate that there *is* team control throughout the scenario I described. Check out the rule references---A has team control during the throw-in, and you can't lose team control unless there's a try, an opponent gets the ball, or the ball becomes dead.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Wouldn't it have been simpler to write a note that specifies that fouls committed by the throwing team during a throw-in are to be treated as team control fouls?
Instead, the NCAA, in their infinite wisdom, decides to attempt to rewrite the whole rule book and change something that has been taught to officials for years.
That's exactly what they did in 2003, and it lead to the silly 1&1 scenario that Dan_ref mentioned above.