View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto

Hey, I was just looking at the new NCAA rules regarding frontcourt/backcourt. Suppose that on a throw-in A1 throws the ball towards A2 in the frontcourt, who does not catch the ball but deflects it towards the backcourt where A3 recovers it. Under the 2003 rules, this was not a violation, since A didn't have team control until A3 secured the ball. Under the 2004 rules, A has team control during the throw-in, so this would seem to be a violation.

Hmmm...unless I missed something big this play is the same as last year: the throw-in ends on the touch but there is no possesion until A3 takes control. This is important in whether or not we shoot 1&1 (team fouls), not in how the bc rule is viewed.

In 2004 NCAA rules, we have team control when the ball is at the disposal of a thrower-in (4-13.2c). Team control continues until a try, an opponent secures the ball, or the ball becomes dead (4-13.3). So, A has team control throughout the play I described. The ball obtains front court status when it touches A2 (4-28.3a). A3 is the first to touch the ball in his or her back court when the ball came from the front court while the playerÂ’s team was in team control and A2 caused the ball to go into the back court, so we have a back court violation by 9-11.1.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
There's an exception that allows this pass w/o it being a violation. There's also a similar 3-second exception.
The throw-in exception in 9-11.6 only applies when a player with one or both feet in the air is the first to secure control on a throw-in. This isn't the case I'm describing. There's a new 9-11.4 that says "When the throw-in spot is located adjacent to a front-court boundary line, the throw-in team may cause the ball to go into the back court." I don't see how this has anything to do with the situation I've described, and if you put A1 adjacent to a back court boundary line, then it certainly doesn't apply.

Can you give a rule reference to the exception you're talking about?