View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by chasbo
A1 has both feet and ball over the half court line and his/her next dribble is behind the back and the ball strikes the half court line and A1 continues the dribble.
Violation.

Quote:
Also can there ever be a backcourt violation during a throw in?
Not during a throw-in, but perhaps right after the throw-in ends. For example, if on a throw-in A1 throws the ball into A2 who has one foot on the ground in the frontcourt (at which point the throw-in ends), then A2 puts her other foot down in the backcourt, then we have a violation.

Quote:
Lastly, A1 passes from the backcourt to A2 who has one foot down in frontcourt and catches the pass with second foot in the air and puts it down in the backcourt.
Violation.

Hey, I was just looking at the new NCAA rules regarding frontcourt/backcourt. Suppose that on a throw-in A1 throws the ball towards A2 in the frontcourt, who does not catch the ball but deflects it towards the backcourt where A3 recovers it. Under the 2003 rules, this was not a violation, since A didn't have team control until A3 secured the ball. Under the 2004 rules, A has team control during the throw-in, so this would seem to be a violation.

I haven't thought this through carefully yet and we haven't had our interpretations meeting, so I could be completely wrong. It wouldn't be the first time...