Thread: Skullcaps
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli

You see a lot of the bald players in the NFL use them as well as the guys with corn rows or unruly hairdos.
You also see a lot of guys in the NFL play w/out snapping their chinstraps, w/out mouthpieces, w/out kneepads, etc. What's your point?

There is a difference in the way a properly fitted helmet fits if you're wearing one of these. Specifically, the helmet doesn't stay put, it slides around on your head. I have a similar skullcap I sometimes wear under a motorcycle helmet in cold weather. W/out the skullcap, the helmet never moves on my head; W/ the skullcap, the wind at 40 MPH is strong enough to push the helmet back on my head. I'm sure skullcaps do the same thing when worn under a football helmet. The helmets are designed to stay put, not slide all over the place when they're hit.

Of course, we can't be responsible to make sure that all helmets are fitted properly. But, we are responsible to make sure illegal equipment isn't worn. NF may not specifically ban skullcaps, but my state association does. Therefore, if I see one, I'll tell them to take it off.