View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Your assumption is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally posted by JustMy2Cents
I will cite one example to illustrate my point (although, there are others as well):
there was a discussion about how a player's head placement has absolutely (not a tinker's damn, quite an enteratining discussion by the way) nothing to do with whether or not a clip or a block in the back has occurred. The official that posted that is 100% correct. But as a coach reading this message board, I took that as slap against the coaching profession, and probably wrongfully so, because I am accused of being wrong more than I am right.
What you're not realizing is that I made the comment from an official's point of view. I don't know that coaches "teach to always place the head in front of a player to assist the official in making the correct call." I'm not a coach, so I don't know that you teach that. Therefore, that is not why I made the statement.

I made the statement because I hear fans, players, coaches, AND officials make the statement, "It couldn't have been blocking in the back because his head was in the front." Well, that's bull$hit. When I throw a flag for blocking in the back, I have no earthly idea where the player's head is. I'm watching where the contact is. I could care less where his head is, therefore teaching the player's to "place the head in front of a player to assist the official in making the correct call," is worthless advice. Now, that's not written to make you angry. And from a coach's standpoint, you may not believe that. But from an official's standpoint, it's absolutely true.

That's why I said "it doesn't make a tinker's damn where his head is," because I'm not looking at his head. I'm looking at the contact.

As far as coach's knowing the rules better than officials, IMHO it's rare. I work the sideline and I can truthfully tell you that I've never worked a game where I didn't have to either:

1- explain what call was made and why

or

2- explain a rule to a coach that he did not know or was confused or wrong about.

That's "never" in 15 years. So, no, I don't buy it.

But you know what, I can live with it. Coaches aren't paid to know the rules, they're paid to coach. They're paid to strategize. Yes, it's helpful if they have a basic knowledge but it's not absolutely necessary that the know every detail. I know very little about play calling or play design. I don't need to know it. It's not my job.

In any case, I hope that clears the air surrounding my statement. It certainly wasn't meant the way you took it.