View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Bob,

That is the exact rule that I brought up with the set of officials working our game Friday night. And they said, as Mike pointed out, that the INTENT of the rule is what matters -- change of possession, clock starts on the snap. As a matter of fact, I read the officials the entire section of clock starting on the snap. After which, the WH took the rule book from me and read it for himself. Then WH gave us the interpretation that they would use in the game -- that the clock would start on the snap.

By the way, this was not confrontational discourse. This happened before the game, when we were going over the the preliminaries, such as how long halftime will be, etc. In fact the crew working the game hadn't even gotten dressed yet. I don't want to give the wrong impression, that this happened during the middle of the game on the sideline with me pulling out the rule book to prove the officials wrong. I don't think I gave that impression, but I wanted to make sure that I was perfectly clear about it.

Do you see why coaches can get frustrated about these situations?