View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PGCougar
And another advantage for the offense!

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

... And this new rule adds something to my responsibilities. Now, not only do I have to judge whether it was good defense or not (which is almost how I base all of my other block/charge calls) but now, I also have to determine the location of the defender. So after I have judged "Yes, that was good defense." I'm coming with a player control foul... "Wait a minute... Did the defender step on the line? Yes he did. All good defense aside, I now have a block." Sorry coach your defender did a good job but he stepped on the line.

If NFHS sticks with their interpretation in the future, I think I would much sooner see it called as an Out of Bounds violation on the defender - offense gets the ball back. No fouls or grievous penalties are meted out, only a small interuption. Still the same responsibilities are incumbent upon me - Ive got to judge the worthiness of the defensive play and the defender's foot position. But to me this seems like and over the top penalty for what could have been excellent defensive play with only a half inch of shoe on the line.
This is perhaps my biggest gripe - great D not only nullified, but insulted with a personal foul rather than a violation of some kind. After a few calls like this, the kids will start playing tentative D around the lines - a BIG advantage to the offense.

If everyone starts calling blocking fouls, then the offensive strategy is to go baseline and sideline even more. Only risk to O is going OOB early with loss of possession. Reward, on the other hand, is both a foul on D and continued possession. Worth gambling some I'd think. Gets me to the bonus quicker and makes the D softer because of the looming foul trouble.

Don't like what I hear so far. Nope, don't like it at all. What's so good about this?