View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Question Aren't the coaches the rulemakers???

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Quote:
Originally posted by theboys
This is an interpretation designed to make a referee's job more difficult. I mean, imagine yourself explaining this to an uninformed howler during a hotly contested game.

Snip

Coaches regularly teach kids to cut off the base line, which probably means kids regularly step on the OB line while doing so.

In Virginia coach that fall under the jurisdiction of the VHSL, which is to say all public schools, have to attend the same state sponsored rules meeting as we do.

It is because coaches taught the move to the OB line that the rule was formulated. This was specifically stated at our rules meeting last night so the coaches know it is their fault.

My 2 cents is that I like the rule.
But isn't it the coaches that make the rules?

Do I like this change... I'm still undecided. The situation/interpretation makes it pretty cut and dried. Is it supported by the rules...? I'm with Mark D; I don't think it completely is supported (I wouldn't have arrived at the interpretation based upon the changes made in Rule 4-23)

And this new rule adds something to my responsibilities. Now, not only do I have to judge whether it was good defense or not (which is almost how I base all of my other block/charge calls) but now, I also have to determine the location of the defender. So after I have judged "Yes, that was good defense." I'm coming with a player control foul... "Wait a minute... Did the defender step on the line? Yes he did. All good defense aside, I now have a block." Sorry coach your defender did a good job but he stepped on the line.

If NFHS sticks with their interpretation in the future, I think I would much sooner see it called as an Out of Bounds violation on the defender - offense gets the ball back. No fouls or grievous penalties are meted out, only a small interuption. Still the same responsibilities are incumbent upon me - Ive got to judge the worthiness of the defensive play and the defender's foot position. But to me this seems like and over the top penalty for what could have been excellent defensive play with only a half inch of shoe on the line.

And of course I can see it happening right in front of the coach (who is looking down the line) as I transition from backcourt to frontcourt (half way between the center circle and the sideline).

Will this rule change require a change in mechanics? The call might be easier for the Lead because he (she, sorry Juulie and others) is already out of bounds and can readily see the line. Whereas the Trail is on the PLAYING COURT (nearly all of the time) and would generally need to look through the players to see a foot position on the line.

I'm convincing myself not to like this rule... somebody stop me!