Thread: Parent Coaches
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

In my local area, the officiating at the PeeWee games is actually pretty good. The same folks that schedule varsity also schedule the PeeWee games, and they know who is good and who is not. I've not worked any PeeWee game with an official that I would feel uncomfortable working at least a SubV game.

That said - I agree 100% on parents and coaches. Most are worse than even the 7th grade coaches. I hear at least once, after some sort of argument or yelling, "That's my kid that just got hit." As if it's less important for us to watch the other kids. It kills me sometimes.

2 weekends ago (I was off that weekend) it got very unruly, and the board member in attendance had us hold a pregame conference with the head coaches with this to say:

Coach - you are the only one that can talk to me about a flag or a ruling. If any other coach raises their voice about the officiating, it's 15 yards, no questions asked. If a fan gets out of hand, it's 15 yards, no questions asked. If it happens twice, the field administrator will clear your sideline - the parents can watch from their cars. Period.

I thought it was harsh, however - it was the most hospitable day of PeeWee I've ever had, and all 7 games ran smoothly.

West Houston Mike