Thread: Parent Coaches
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I have a very similiar view to this problem. My son (10) plays on a youth team. My wife wonders why I stand in the end zone or along the far ends of the field and don't sit in the stands or stand along the ropes with the other parents/fans. After the second game she realized how ignorant these people can sound during a game. There is one guy, that is a judge, who is brutal. (I may go to his court room and help him out some day with his calls.)
Some opposing coaches are telling players to "take him out on the next play" The lack of understanding of the rules is amazing.

To be fair, some, not all, of the refs are also brutal. Here are a couple of things that I have observed this year.

Punt play. Change of possession. 20 seconds on the clock(ref keeping time on the field lets everyone know this). Ball ready for play, chains set and then the period is over before a snap.

Play runs out of bounds untouched. Ref wind his arm to keep the clock moving. When asked by the coach (in a polite manner) why the clock is running? Coach, he slowed down before getting out of bounds so it doesn't matter. The clock keeps running by rule. (I heard this with my own ears)

Kind of tough to keep from saying anything at times like those.