Thread: Parent Coaches
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 12:21am
Get away from me, Steve.

When the inmates run the asylum

I just moved to the Madison area last summer. I skipped football season as I didn't really have time to make contacts, etc. Besides, I had a new house and job to worry about.

This season I've thrown myself into the game. I had the opportunity to fill my Saturdays with well-paying youth ball that I figure would shake some of the rust off and even be fun at times.

I know how some of these leagues can be, so I asked the organizer before the season. I mean, I wondered aloud how come none of the serious officials work this league -- many told me they wouldn't touch it. I'm stubborn.

This is the response I got before the season:

-------------------

One board member should be in attendance at every game.

Ropes will be put up to separate the fans and parents from the field.

The league will enforce a “no-nonsense” rule to deal with unruly fans and coaches.

Licensed officials are paid $30 per game.

-------------------

Well, anyone here can pay $10 and be "licensed." There are no requirments for being a Level 1 official here -- no test required or rules meeting required unless you want to move up.

I worked 3 Saturdays in this league. The last one was the worst. I threw 2 USC flags in 4 games at coaches that were coming onto the field (beyond the hashmarks) to question calls. None of the officials, except me, work organized football. The last time I threw the flag the "organizer" had hopped onto the field and worked back judge. When I threw a PF flag for a vicious head slap the defense's head coach came onto the field to talk to the director/back judge. As the WH I threw a flag immediately and had the umpire step off another 15.

Today I got an email -- the parent coaches decided they'd rather not have me work their games. They didn't like getting flagged so they complained and the board gave in. According to the organizer they "like coming on the field and getting explanations."

I've never been so happy to get "fired."

Rich