View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 19, 2003, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukat
My daughter is on the team so I was a spectator on this one. Fed rules Girls Slowpitch State playoff game. R1 on second. HARD line shot back to pitcher who deflects the ball then picks it up and throws it wild to first after runner had passed. Ball then hits helmet in visitor's dugout and deflects back to pitcher who throws wild home on R1 coming home which was safe. Play ends with BR on 2nd and R1 home. Umpires meet and Bring R1 back to 3rd and leave BR on 2nd. I figured after the meeting that they were going to leave R1 with the score and put BR on 3rd as the throw was after the girl had passed 1st. I asked the PU why afterwards as we are good friends and he gave me his explanation: Anyone want to venture why the call was called like that?
Strictly a guess applying ASA rules:

The only correct ruling I can imagine would be if they ruled R1 had not yet reached 2B when the pitcher released the ball and awarded bases are based on the position of the lead runner when two are between the same bases.

Other than that, I cannot think there is any other reason to justify their ruling.