Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Quote:

Lead came running to me and said there was no violation.
What I did:
In accordance with our pregame
  • "Feel free to come to me for help. And, if you see me miss one, feel free to come to me. However, if you come to me, be sure, because I will change my call. We will not get into a rules discussion in the middle of a game."

I quickly changed my call and pointed to Blue's direction.
    mick

• Mick,didn't you know that you had the right call in this sitch, and that the Lead had it wrong? That surprises me that you'd let a wrong call stand for the sake of team unity. Jmo,but I think that a discussion was in order on this one.

Also,there is nowayinhell Lead should have stuck his nose in this one in the first place. He's 45 feet away from the play!

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 19th, 2003 at 07:28 AM]
    JR,
    ...Because it was pre-gamed.
    ...Because my partner came so far.
    ...Because if I stick with my call my partner looks stoopid.
    ...Because this was one turn-over reversed in the first half.
    ...Because I am un-emotional.
    ...Because presence overcame the Rule.

This was a half-time, off the court discussion.

mick [/B]
    Mmmmmm....I dunno Mick. Like you I like to think if my partner comes to me with new information he's saving us from making a bad call. The way I pregame this is to agree we'll *discuss* something that might have been missed ("Mick, are you sure you got a good look?" or "Mick, did you see the ball go off B1?") and the calling official decides. There are those times when the calling official knows he's right, either because of a rules misunderstanding or because he saw something the other guy didn't. Seems to me the best way to have handled your sitch would have been to put your arm around your pard's shoulder, walk him away from the bench and just say "I got this one, pard, thanks for coming all the way out to help". Look at it this way: at least 1 coach knew you got this right originally, most likely both coaches knew you had the right call, and now both coaches know you let your partner overturn your correct call...I dunno, can't see how this gets chalked up to game management or presence.

BTW, I'm not sure I agree there aren't times when you'll need a rules discussion, just don't make it too often.