View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

I agree also. I have been thinking about who should hold the blame for the Cubs not getting it done. I am not a fan for either the Cubs or Marlins. I wanted the Cubs to win to see them finally get there. And... My wife is huge Cubbie fan. so couldn't exactly go against her. We were making arrangements to be in Wrigley next week at WS game 4. Only I guess the Wrigley box officedid not " believe" because they were apparently waiting till the CLINCHER before they put out WS tickets to sell. Maybe we should blame the front office for not "believing".
And you know,as far as the fans go, Instead of hunkering down in their seats, why did the "fans" not get off of their a** and start cheering their hearts out like they did when Wood and Alou landed their yarders? I think that this action by the fans might could have picked the players up. Heck, if they would have spent as much energy trying to pick the team up as they have in hassling "THE FAN". It would have been enough. It would have at least kept them warm for 11 more outs. So, it seems as though it was possibly as much the fans' fault as the fan's fault.Maybe we can blame the fans for not really supporting the team when it counted.
Realize that SBartman was at a great place(7th game NLCS row 1 1st base line Wrigley field), in a terrific time (8th inning 1out Cubs-3 Marlins-0) trying to obtain a souvenir of the greatest moment in his life ( the game that put his BELOVED Cubbies into the World Series for the first time since 1945).Think about it!!! Tell me none of us would not have been doing the same thing if we were there. He could not help it because a player was trying to be in that same place in that same time attempting to make it 1 out closer.
Also IMHO, The players did not act like they wanted it,almost through the whole LCS. Half-a**ed running to first. Hardly any aggessive base running at all. The sticks were hot and cold depending who was starting pitcher that day. Was God going to drop it in their lap? That is what it looked like the attitude was to me from at least game 5 on. It looked like the attitude was if it happens, it happens and that is TERRIFIC. If it does not happen, Well....
"There's always NEXT YEAR."

So, who to blame? whether it be the players making multi-millions of dollars a year letting their heads get taken out of the game, or the fans getting taken out of the game. The last person to blame is "The Fan" who paid, who knows how much, to be in that seat at that time. Supporting his team in trying to get to the biggest thing in Wrigley in 58 years. And getting a souvenir to boot. Call it fate, destiny, or just plain bad luck. He is now part of the biggest thing in baseball since baseball was born.
I pray that for this man in baseball history, that all of this bad attention right now, will somehow turn out ok for him.

People will say if it had not been for him the Cubs would be facing the Yanks in the WS. We don't really know that.They might say "If it had not been for him, there would have been no 7th Game." Well I say, if the Cubs would have won game 5,
game 6 would not have been played and "THE FAN" would still have his life. So we can just as easily blame the team for not winning game 5, heck... they should have blanked the fish in the first four.the fish should have been caught,cleaned, cooked, and eatin by the 5th game. No, it's just to easy to point fingers at some other person, rather than the true culprit... ourselves.

ok i'm done. only my observation.

[Edited by dwillis on Oct 17th, 2003 at 10:16 AM]