View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 16, 2003, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 6-2-7:
"When any scrimmage kick is out of bounds between the goal lines or becomes dead inbounds between the goal lines while no player is in possesson, or inbounds anywhere while opponents are in joint possession, the ball is awarded to R...."

The scrimmage kick becomes dead when the IW occurs, so the ball is awarded to R, and PSK applies. It's no different than if the kick goes out of bounds. [/B][/QUOTE]

First of all, this thread is facinating and is generating some great discussion. Cmathews and others have done a great job supporting their positon with rule references.

Here is the problem I am having. If this is enforced as a PSK foul, at what spot on the field are we going to award the ball to R before penalty administration if the IW takes place while the ball is in flight? When the ball becomes dead inbounds with no player in posession (rolls to a stop - no IW) or goes out of bounds, we have a spot where the kick ended that is easily identified. When the kick in flight becomes dead due to an IW and you asked 10 people (including the officials) which yard line to ball was over when the IW took place, you would get 10 different answers.

I agree that the NF should, and probably will, make a ruling on a play such as this. My opinion is that the down will be replayed from the previuos spot or R will be penalized from the previous spot when the NF finally make a ruling on this play.