View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Indy
I disagree with #4. I think it gives too much credibility to the howler. He is in his third year, and probably knows more about how a game should be called than these biased critics. You are suggesting that he take a rather defensive position on this issue. I agree that having senior officials guide him is a great idea. But telling a coach that you are going to miss some is not necessary or improving the situation. It will probably contribute to even worse behavior.
Hawks Coach,

By saying this, I'm NOT giving more credibility to the coach. In fact, I'm merely pointing out to him that I am new, I'm trying to learn and get better, and I'm HUMAN. Therefore, I'm going to make errors. By reminding the coach that I AM human, I believe I am making the situation better by, hopefully, getting that coach off my back. If it doesn't, that's when the whacking starts!

I know many officials who have been reffing for longer than 3 years...and if you watched them, you'd NEVER know it. So, how many years you've worked doesn't always indicate how good you ought to be.

And finally, to this day, I will admit to a coach that I have missed a call. What can a coach say to my admission? A good one will say something like, "Ok, but don't miss it again!" A bad coach may continue to be a jerk...to which the whacking will commense.