Thread: Double Base
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 15, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Double-base confusion

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

I believe the big dollars come into play there and we would have to use our judgment.

Personally, if we force the fielder to return to the white portion, we could be putting both players on a collision course.

I would like to think that if the throw truly pulled the fielder away from the play, then yes, I would allow them to return to the colored portion to attempt to put out the BR. If the fielder was reaching/stretching for the throw and just lost contact with either side, but was still within the vicinity of the base, they will not benefit from the existence of the double base for the purpose of putting out the runner.
I thought I understood this until I read an article in the Sept 2003 Referee (page 50). The author was talking about ASA interpretation when he wrote, "When a poor throw pulls a fielder into foul territory ... the fielder is allowed to use either the white or colored portion of the base." Personally, I like your interpretation, Mike. I'm not going to penalize the offense by giving the F3 both sides to catch a high or wide throw from fair territory. Although I may get an argument from a defensive coach who has read ASA 8-2.M(3) or subscribes to Referee.