Thread: Double Base
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bluejay Send a message via Yahoo to bluejay
Seems to me that the throw from F6 could pull the runner wide of the base but not necessarily into foul ground. Yeah, it could push her into foul but that seems far-fetched to me. I think this rule, if applied in that manner, gives the defense an advantage for making a bad throw. Furthermore it seems it could encourage more collisions with both defense and runner going for orange bag. The runner, properly going to the orange bag, would not have time to make the adjustment to the white on a close play. And that is also the problem if the throw is coming from foul territory. The ball would be coming from behind the runner and perhaps not visible to the runner so a decision could be made to go to the white. Yes, the runner can adjust off the defensive player covering 1B but there won't be a lot of time to adjust on what would be a close play.
I'm just glad we don't see this much. In fact, I don't believe I have ever seen the throw from F6 pulling the fielder into foul as the rule states. I have been asked this question by a coach and having never seen the rule applied I just need some help.