View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Unhappy

Jim,

Hang in there! It will be tough while getting started. It takes a while to learn the mechanics, to learn positioning, to learn how to control your emotions, to learn how to handle coaches and game management, and to project confidence on the court. That is a lot!

You readily admit that you are "green" and learning. I can certainly appreciate that. I remember being a mentor to a first-year official two years ago. The first time I saw this guy officiate, I thought he stunk! But, I also recognized that he was JUST STARTING and he wanted help. This particular official took some crap from the coaches (CYO!) and the fans. I was ready to jump up and defend him on certain plays simply because he was having a tough time. After the game, we had a little court session as I tried to teach him some things. I saw him 3 different times that year. He ended up improving a whole bunch. He is now doing 9th grade games. He still needs work, but he's growing!

So you ask what can you do? Here are a few things I'd suggest trying:

1.) get other veteran officials to come see you officiate and give you direction;
2.) study other officials!;
3.) decide if this is a profession you really want to pursue considering the type of abuse that cannot be avoided;
4.) when the coach starts turning into "howler monkey", tell him "Coach, I am a young official trying to learn. I'm not very good right now, but I'm out here TRYING my best and working my a$$ off for you. Be patient with me! I'll get better."

If #4 doesn't work, whack him and let game management know that even though the coach is a volunteer, his behavior will not be tolerated. (Maybe before the game, if I were a new/younger official, I'd also let game management know that I am a "green" official and will be working as hard as I can to make the right calls...even though I WILL miss some! And, I am thankful for the opportunity to be working games for him/her.) If game management will not back you up after your explaining this to him/her, take it as high as you need to go.

[Edited by Indy_Ref on Oct 14th, 2003 at 04:53 PM]