View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 14, 2003, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Henry
In closing, I admit I am still a novice and have made some mistakes and blown some calls. I deserve being questioned or even shouted at by a coach. But the behavior I have described is unacceptable and I know I need to control these actions and behavior early in the game. But what can we do at a local or state level to insist that this behavior can not be tolerated? Our state high school athletic associations must realize that in order to recruit and keep officials in the profession we must have some support; and for us starting our officiating careers at the grade school level we need some type of deterrent that we can use against the grade school coach. Suggestions?
I've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt!!

Here are a few suggestions. 1. Be sure you know the rules cold, but never, never, recite them to the coach. You need the confidence, though, of knowing you are right no matter what.

2. Never lose your cool. I've had to learn this one the hard way. If you feel calm and confident, the coach is more likely to feel that way, too.

3. The vets on this board are wondering why I left this until third since I usually harp on it first, but the best thing you can do for your game at any level is get videotape. If you can find a teenager that will sit with a videocam and a tripod and run the camera back and forth, you reward them with $5 and a hamburger on the way home.

Then go home and study, study, study. Watch every gesture, every stride, every flop of clothing. Work HARD at losing whatever makes you look less than completely calm and happy. If you're not sure how to look better, find some games (I suggest HS varsity) with the top refs working them, and study how they look. Do they frown, or smile? Do they nod or shake their head? Watch their hand gestures and how they hold their arms. Look at their stride, and the way they hold their head when they run.

Be sure all your equipment and uniform are very attractive and tidy. Check your haircut, your shoelaces, your hem. Are they sharp and neat looking? A couple weeks later, tape again. It's amazing what you see on tape. Change your appearance, and the coaches start treating you differently. It may seem unfair, but it's true.

4. Talk to the coaches. You don't have to defend yourself, but let them know you understand, even if you dont agree.

5. Warn early on in the problem. "Coach, let's not go there tonight." "Coach, I've heard what you said, now let's get on with the game". "That's enough of that." The next or next after time they "go there" again, T 'em. If they complain too loud about that, toss em. But do the warning, the T'ing and the tossing with a dispassionate demeanor. (Isn't that a great phrase? Just the words help me calm down.)

I've learned all these lessons the hard way, and if my pain can help you avoid some problems, that's great. Not everything I've said will help with every coach, but your percentages will change dramatically if you work on what I'm suggesting. Especially the part about the tape. I know for sure that this is true, because I started clear at the bottom in terms of ability, and if this stuff wwill work for me, it'll work for anybody.