View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Some may argue that the plate umpire should call, "Time," when the batter steps out of the box.

Jim I do not agree with you often as you know (Big G), but I'm with you on this particualr subject matter.

In Youth ball I would advocate calling Time - This kills the play and in effect it serves the same purpose of the do-over. Calling Time will eliminate all of the various problems than could occur. After calling Time I would instruct the batter to check with me in future before he steps out of the box again.

If the pitcher was already in his wind-up and batter steps out - Too bad on the batter - Whatever the pitch is it is.

As I stated in my original thread, instead of "Pure Vanilla" rules governing Balks, an umpire should be able to use his /her judgement in calling a Mechanical Balk.

I trust that the individuals who posted initially have vast experience and know when F1 is trying to pull a fast one or not. I say use that experience to make the game better and not just the "Pure Vanilla" wording of the Rule, especially in Amateur Ball.

In your example at least the way you wrote it, it is clearly evident that F1 was not trying to pull a fast one, hence call nothing.

The bottom line to all these mechanical balks IMO is really simple - Is F1 trying to pull a fast one? - If the answer to that is yes then Of Coarse Balk Him. However, if it is clearly evident as in Jim's example and the one that started this whole thing to begin with, then ignore.

As you can see, there are different opinions on this matter.
My suggestion to resolve is: Bring this up at your next HS association meeting and see what they rule. Whatever is accepted practice at your association is the way one should rule as ultimately this will decide your rating.

Pete Booth