Thread: Big Heads
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 02:10pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by sportsannouncing

The problem that I have seen (and benefitted from personally) is that associations are always complaining they don't have enough officials. Well stop complaining and do something. Each night there is a game, you have players and parents who obviously have a pretty good idea of the game, put posters up at schools to recruit. Then you'll run into the problem of too many and the good ones will rise to the top.

It's true, one bad official can spoil the rest and most fans don't spot that. I do and expose it as a fan. I've had Major League umpires give me the finger during games, I've had NCAA officials give me the cut it out sign. As a Minor League P. A. announcer, I've even been warned about the music but do it to the point that I can't be run and if I am, I have a great "back-up". A lot of umpires that hated me as an announcer, respected me because I am an umpire and listened to complaints and question. Those are the ones that we need more of and associations need to urge that "friendly official".
Good grief...have you ever stopped to think that maybe - just maybe - the reason we have a shortage of officials is because of people like you in the first place?? What in the heck did you do to cause all of these officials to respond to you in the ways you described?? I believe that the school where you work should be a little more concerned about the "friendly atmosphere" they can generate for officials to work in, and you need to try shutting up every now and then at games!