View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
It seems we have the Nykesha Sales story with a different twist, and one which inspires little sympathy for the player in question. Instead of asking the opposition to work with us to allow a player to get the record (which clearly would have been achieved without the injury), we will ask the ref to give us a little help. Regardless of how you feel about the Sales incident (which has strong feelings on both sides), this one seems pretty clear.

This player is not injured, not impeded from obtaining the record, but has not achieved it. Could have made any of a number of missed opportunities throughout the game or the year, but didn't and is one point short. Could have made the initial shot from the floor to tie the game with a FT to win, but didn't. Could have made the first FT, but didn't. Now that a game, and season, is over a coach is asking for some "help." No way. Game over, season over, no record.
Hawks Coach, I completely agree...but what would you say to this:

In Indiana, where the foxes rule the henhouse (and the coaches are the ONLY means to get into, and advance, in the post season tournaments, if you tell him "Sorry, coach. No go.", you're likely to receive backlash in your tournament vote. One "poor" vote or one "no" vote (as in, this official does not belong in the tournament) is BRUTAL to an official's ranking. It could drop you out of the next level.

Question to the coaches: How many of you would actually ACCEPT an official's decision if he/she said, "Sorry, coach!" in the above situation??

To prove what a ridiculous system it is here, I know an official who has been around for quite some time. At his peak, he would commonly receive 100+ "state" votes (the highest vote possible in the previous rating system)...but his 8-10 "sectional" votes (the lowest an official who was already in the tournament could receive) would keep him out of the state finals every year! Consequently, officials who work the same 20 schools and receive zero "sectional" votes would work the state championship games.

Ah...I don't want to get myself started on this!!