Thread: throw in
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 09:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref

Mick, would you agree that if a player bounces the ball on the boundary line, and for arguments sake none of the ball actually HITS the inbounds area, the ball can still break (hang over) the inbounds plane? And at that point, if B decides to touch/grab the ball, would you give a T to B if A still has possession? Furthermore, would you give team B a boundary plane infraction warning if B grabs the ball?
Casey,
If the B touches the ball without breaking the plane and before it is released, we know that is legal touching.
If B's hands break the plane, before the ball is released, it is illegal and a warning is given the first time.
If A releases the ball on the OOB dribble, I think B still cannot grab the ball, because B can only grab the ball if the ball is released on an inbound pass. (9-2-11) A dribble is not an inbound pass, in my mind.
A dribble that strikes the OOB and then goes inbounds to B would have to have some kind of top spin on it wouldn't it?
In that case, I would probably consider the dribble as an illegal throw-in and give the ball to B for a throw-in. (Case 9.2.2A (a))
I do not want any of this to happen in my game.
mick