View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 10, 2003, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Obviously this was a coach who has some sense. He was smart enough to put in all of his subs during a blowout, so that his best players wouldn't get beaten up. With that in mind, I don't think that he really cared about his subs practicing quick restarts. I think that he was telling you guys in a rather clever way that he thought his guys were getting whacked too much and he wanted the fouls called in the hope that it would stop the other team from continuing to play like this in the second half.
How would I handle this coach's request? Well, I never change the way I officiate based on the comments of a coach, but we do have an obligation to protect the health of the players and if you went into the dressing room at halftime and said, "Boy the visitors sure are fouling a lot," then you should do something about it.
Remember you can still play advantage and then come back and caution a player later. This is a rather severe method of dealing with the problem, but it is effective. Then again, it was 5-0, so you may just wish to forget advantage and call the fouls because they really don't care about more goals at that point.