View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 10, 2001, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Cool True to my word, Coach!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Coach, you know I'm going to agree with MOST of what you said. However, COMMON SENSE (which to me is what most of officiating is all about) won't allow me to call a foul considering our previously discussed scenario.

In your statement, "...all violations of the vertical plane do not involve contact...", that is the part where I believe a subjective judgment should be made. Are you saying that these violations SHOULD be penalized? Or that they are the ones that need to be studied and penalized if the penalizing player gains an advantage? Or something else?

IN OUR PREVIOUSLY DISCUSSED EXAMPLE from another post, even though BACK violated FRONT's vertical space over FRONT's head, FRONT reached up after BACK (in my opinion, legally) gained control and hit BACK's arms and the ball came loose. As stated, at NO time did BACK ever touch FRONT. Your cited rules support a foul on BACK for violating FRONT's vertical space. However, my common sense pleads foul on FRONT.

[Edited by Indy_Ref on Jan 9th, 2001 at 01:42 PM]
[/B]
Coach, to prove to you that I do "call what I preach", I had a situation last night where a player went to the floor to grab a ball (I'll call her FRONT.) That player ended up with possession on the seat of her pants. She was looking to pass the ball to a teammate when an opponent came up from BEHIND (I'll call her BACK), reached OVER her, and grabbed the ball. Back grabbed nothing but ball! But only for a slight moment in time. FRONT then jostled the ball away and BACK stepped away. After the jostling, BACK again stepped up to try and grab the ball...but this time just slightly from the side, but she still reached over FRONT. FRONT promptly reached up and shoved BACK away with her left hand & arm. I blew the whistle...foul on FRONT!! Of course it happened right in front of FRONT's bench...and the coach thought I was crazy when I whistled the foul on his player.

The AD was sitting in a perfect position/angle to see EXACLTY what happened. After the game both he and my partner said my calling of the foul on FRONT was a great call, and that I made the right call.

I know it's not the same exact scenario as discussed earlier, but it is very similar in that BACK "violated" FRONT's vertical plane.