View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Trigger
I don't know what deal with the announcers was...they couldn't tell if it hit the pole or not. The ball dropped straight down from the pole, meaning it hit the fan. If it had hit the pole, it would have caromed off and not dropped directly down.

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
BTW, the replays were hardly conclusive.

Originally posted by brian
i think it might have went foul. it was hooking foul and the guy deflected it back into the pole
I think it's funny that so many people could've seen the play so differently. From my couch, it looked to me like the ball missed the fan's glove and hit the pole directly behind the glove. I think it really did hit the pole, without interference from the fan. That would also explain why the fan wasn't ejected -- he never touched the ball.

As far as Torre not arguing, another poster has said that the NY Post quoted Torre as saying that the crew chief told him that 3 other umpires agreed with him that the ball was fair. So Torre didn't think the odds were in his favor to argue it. Is that how these things are decided among umpires?

Also, the guy on the cell phone that was interviewed by the Fox announcer was not the guy who tried to catch the ball. The kid who was involved in the play left on his own apparently; his buddy said it was b/c he was being hounded with questions. (Maybe he really was ejected, and his buddy was just covering for him. . .)