Thread: Two wierd plays
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 09, 2003, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Two Wierd Plays

Just worked a high boys tourney this past weekend and had two strange plays in the 12th grade 7th place game. The games were officiated two-man.
1. I am administering a throw-in to a player from White, who is leading 55-54 with 2 minutes to play in the 4th, in their frontcourt on the endline at the intersection of the endline and the three-point line, when a teammate of the thrower runs OOB between the opposite three-point line and lane line, and then continues across the width of the court while OOB only to stop two steps away from the thrower. I'm thinking, "What the ?@#&$ is he doing?" The defender did not follow him OOB.

2. With white leading 59-57 with 17 seconds to play, we are returning from a TO and white will inbound on their endline following a goal by Black. The coach of White tells my partner that they are going to make an OOB pass on the throw-in and he relays this message to me since I am again administering the throw-in. I merely told my partner, "Fine with me."
So after giving the ball to W1 I begin my count and watch as he throws the OOB pass to W2 who is stepping OOB in the other corner. The defender is tailing him quite closely and he misses the pass, which continues on and bounces off the face of the front row of the bleachers and rolls back toward the intended receiver, remaining behind the plane of the endline the entire time. After waiting for a second W2 runs over and picks up the ball and looks to make a pass onto the court.

I have never seen nor talked about the first situation before, but we have discussed the second play on this board and I made up my mind then on how to call it. I'll post what I did in each situation after giving others a chance to say how they would have handled these plays.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Oct 9th, 2003 at 01:47 AM]