View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 06, 2003, 08:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
I submitted a thread last year: http://www.officialforum.com/showthr...?threadid=6653
Well, tomorrow I was scheduled to go and call at the school where this incident took place. Tonight, the principal calls me and asks where I am scheduled to be tomorrow. I tell him at his place. He says that this not acceptable because the idiot principal from the other school has announced that his school will not play if I am calling. I tell him that 1. That ain't right to let this guy dictate who the officials will be or not be on the road. 2. I'm not the one to call about this problem, but he should speak to the assignment secretary, and by the way isn't this kind of short notice? I told him the guy was bluffing and wouldn't really leave and as far as I was concerned he proved this when they stayed to play the boys game after this rather large incident at the end of the girls game during which he made this same threat. (We'll get on the bus and go home.) I told the local principal ( a friend of mine) that while I was not totally unsympathetic to the rather difficult spot in which he was placed, there was no way that this guy should be allowed to get away with this.
I did not hear from the assignment secretary tonight, and am rather anxious to hear his reaction. I am both dumbfounded and sickened by the whole situation. Any thoughts from the board on this whole ugly mess would be appreciated.

Based on the time of your post, it appears that you just call the call from the home school.

First: If I am correct about the time frame regarding the telephone call from the home school, then the home school was not acting in a professional manner by waiting until less that 24 hours before game time to contact you about a possible problem. As soon as the telephone call from the home school was over contact you partner(s) for the game.

Second: I do not know how you received your assigment for this game. Was it by your local officials association assigner or a league assigner? In either case, you need to contact him as soon as possible after the telephone from the home school and tell him what you were told.

Third: Did you have a contract for this game? If you have a contract for the game, then by all means do show up for the game. A telephone call from the home school the night before does not absolve you of your contractural duties to officiate the game. If you do not show up to officiate the game, then the home school can hold you in breach of contract. If you show up to officiate and the school then tells you they do not want you to officiate, tell the game manager that you will gladly go home once you have been paid for the game. If the school refuses to pay you then it is in breach of contract with you. Under no circumstances should you leave until you have been paid or the game as been completed. The school can order you to leave the building but has no legal ground to do so. You have a contract with them that you are entitled to enforce.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio