View Single Post
Old Wed May 08, 2024, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Let us make it clear, they took this rule from other levels. This was never a stated NF rule despite what people want to say. Nothing ever backed up the language that flopping the way described was to be penalized. Seems like they are even expanding what they feel is the rule or not the rule.

The other levels or at least NCAA Men's gave this a one-shot T and it was put in a category that rarely ejected a player. It was not a personal foul or went towards the 5 possible fouls a player could get. I think they tried to make the penalty for the act somewhat minor so we would call it. I know I am going to call it now. It will not be something a player will foul out on and I get to make a point while the team only loses the ball and gains points from the opponent. And it is only a T after a warning.

Peace
The rule, as written, was "Fake being fouled, attempt a free throw, or accept a foul that one is not entitled to". For some reason, the rules writers conflated "faking being fouled" with other infractions that abuse the foul calling and enforcement process. Because the rules writers failed to define what "faking being fouled" was, it forced officials to come up with their own interpretations. I thus defined faking being fouled as a player embellishing incidental contact or acting as if there was contact to draw a call (e.g. sitting down on a block/charge play).

Thankfully NFHS has cleaned this up this year.