View Single Post
Old Mon May 06, 2024, 08:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Dueling Banjos (Deliverance, 1972) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In a different game, if defender B1 illegally breaks the boundary plane in the first period, we warn Team B for delay. If B1 again illegally breaks the boundary plane in the second period, don't we only charge Teams B with team technical foul for delay, and not charge B1 with a player technical foul?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
A video from A Better Official covering technical fouls presented a scenario where the same player keeps violating the throw-in plane over and over as a potential basis for assessing a player T under 10-4-5-d versus the usual team technical foul for delay https://youtu.be/bcqIOUB1Xw0?feature=shared&t=823
Even Greg Austin admits that 10-4-5-D Player Technical "stumps" him.

10-4-5-D: Player Technical: A player must not: Repeated violations of the throw-in, as in 9-2-10.

9-2-10: Throw-In Provisions: The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

When does the Player Technical "kick" in?

In my situation above?

Third time by same player?

Fourth time by same player?

Fifth time on the same player, as Greg Austin described?

At what point does this become a travesty situation, leading to the "nuclear" option?

5-4-1: Forfeiture: The referee may also forfeit a game if any player, team member, bench personnel or coach … repeatedly commits technical-foul infractions or other acts which make a travesty of the game

It becomes a double "dueling banjos" issue.

First, when the same player violates twice, or more, a choice between Player Technical or Team Technical.

And then (more violations by the same player) a choice between another technical or a forfeit.

I wonder if 10-4-5-D is an "artifact" from before we had the various delay warnings and penalties, and has somehow "survived" over the many years for someone like Stat-Man, Greg Austin, or Billy Mac to "stumble" over?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue May 07, 2024 at 09:48am.