View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 26, 2024, 10:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Untucked Shirts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Exceptions are those with side slits at the hem, which signal don’t tuck ... Can anybody spot anything in this article that may have anything to do with respect to NFHS rules?
3-3-5: A player not wearing the pants/skirt properly and above the hips and/or a player not tucking in a team jersey (front and back) designed to be worn inside the pants/skirt, must be directed to leave the game.

In over forty years I remember only one interpreter only once explaining this (side slits at the hem) to us as a reason to allow untucked shirts.

Now we have a non-basketball fashion expert, Answer Angel Ellen, agreeing with that basketball interpretation.

Came across another reason in a middle school game this past season, jerseys with large letters and large numerals that went all the way down to the bottom hem (with no side slits at the hem), on both sides, such that these letters and numerals could not be seen if the jerseys were tucked in. These jerseys were definitely not designed to be worn tucked inside the shorts.

We have an entire school district, five middle schools, each with both boys and girls teams, that all have reversible silk-like jerseys in home and visitor colors (what most schools would use as scrimmage or practice jerseys). The slippery silk-like material was not conducive to the jersey staying tucked in, so eventually all the officials that worked these games decided to just give them all a pass on the jersey being tucked in.

Expecting these jerseys to stay tucked in was a fool's errand.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 26, 2024 at 03:08pm.