View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 17, 2024, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Similar to ChuckS, I don't think that yet another law will really change behavior - it's already illegal to attack another official physically and I doubt that in the moment it crosses their minds. I wouldn't argue if they pass it, but I also don't think it will be all that effective.

I've been left thinking about this pretty extensively, and from a lot of different sides, trying to play devil's advocate. What has been causing the uptick?

Selfishness of players? Personality types changing for officials over past few years? People just angrier these days / political landscape? "Win at all costs" attitudes for schools / administrators? Less accountability for officials (e.g., where assignors aren't used and AD's will grab anyone with a patch)? General lack of public accountability because other minor crimes are no longer punished (shoplifting, etc.)?

What can we do to help combat this type of behavior? Be tougher? Show that we're human / not infallible more often? Make ejected players/coaches/fans fill out a report explaining their behavior before being allowed to attend again?

Last edited by FlasherZ; Sun Mar 17, 2024 at 08:07pm.